Sunday, October 8, 2017

Bluff, Utah (10/6/2017)


Early Friday morning, I picked up where I'd left off the afternoon before, at the north end of Comb Wash Road.  My directions told me the road into Lower Mule Canyon was one mile from the highway.  Sure enough, this was the road I was on yesterday that appeared to be a dead end.  I could see why it looked that way, since it fell abruptly into a sandy wash and bushes encroached on both sides.  It was a rough, sandy track that made me grateful to have the LRJ. 

After a quarter mile, I saw a couple sitting outside enjoying the beautiful morning.  It was surprising to see they were camped there in a truck-camper. Stopping to chat with them, I was told they enjoy camping in such remote spots with no one else around.  Once they learned I was searching for the ruins, they gave me valuable info that saved time and effort in finding the ruins.

I was told the ruins are on a ledge about fifty feet above the canyon floor.  People who simply walk into the canyon will see them, but not have a way to climb the sheer wall.  However, near the car park is a way to go up the slope and climb through a gap in the huge rocks.  Once on the bench, a very narrow ledge required careful placement of each step for a short distance.  Thereafter, the ledge was plenty wide and the ruins were scattered along it.  The entire site was clearly chosen for defensive reasons.  The gap in the rocks could be closed or guarded, and the narrow ledge would be dangerous in the dark.




One ruin was located on a higher ledge, probably requiring a ladder to access.  Notice there was no room to walk around the stucture, since it was built right to the edge. 
Several other ruins were basically large piles of rubble, so I hiked out and went into another large cove in the canyon.  Here were quite a few ruins, some very high on the cliff.  I decided it was too much trouble to attempt climbing to them.  Not sure I could have made it, anyway.




Just a few miles up the highway was the second item on the day's agenda, Arch Canyon Overlook.  Arch Canyon is about twelve miles long with several arches that led to its name.  I once drove about six miles into it on a nasty little trail more suited to ATVs.  Numerous stream crossings with steep banks, large holes and larger rocks just wore me out.  Even the road to the overlook was no bargain in places, but the view was definitely worth it.

The "road" ended just feet from the canyon rim, right above a "pour off" that would make a beautiful waterfall on a rainy day.  Not far away, some metal stairs led out onto "The Point", which allowed views in both directions.  Occasional gusts of wind made me realize I wouldn't be comfortable on a really windy day.  It's more than 800 feet to the bottom.


By walking a few hundred yards along the canyon rim, I could see ruins tucked into alcoves down below.  I have no idea how the occupants were able to get to their homes.

The final thing on my list for the day was a place called "Cave Towers", located on the rim of a tributary to Mule Canyon.  I had tried twice before to find these ruins several years ago, but I am known to be persistent.  Actually, I had little or no directions then, but felt I now had better intel.  It turned out that the Utah School Trust now owns the property, likely obtained in a land swap with the BLM.  In any case, they have plowed a road to a parking area, and a "try it if you dare" track that goes even closer to the ruins.  After taking the dare, I was only a couple hundred yards from the rim.  Although these are some of the newest ruins, most were truly dilapidated.



Once again, ruins of living quarters could be seen below the rim, probably not too hard to reach.  However, my day had been long, so I didn't make the effort.





1 comment:

  1. So awesome! You're in our territory and you made some great finds. Makes me want to pack up and hit the road right now! What am I going to do about this damn job...? ;)

    ReplyDelete