Sunday, August 27, 2017

US 50/US 285, CO (8/22/2017) and Hennepin County, MN (8/23/2017)

A plan to visit Pam in Minnesota finally came to fruition on Aug. 22.  I left home at 5 am, driving the LRJ rather than the motor home, and made good time, eventually covering more than 1000 miles before stopping for the night.  Near Gunnison, CO, I was treated to a lovely sunrise, which I captured through the window without slowing down at all.
Nearing Fairplay, CO, the strong early light lit up the mountains to the west, which I snapped through the side window, again without slowing down.
Once I hit the Interstate system, I maintained good speed and didn't bother to take more photos during the remainder of the drive to the Minneapolis area.

Since I arrived early on the second day (despite the delay of being pulled over for speeding), we decided to head out for a little touring.  A quick visit to the beautiful town of Excelsior gave us the chance to view Lake Minnetonka, one of the larger lakes in the area.  It was also a good time to buy ice cream cones to enjoy while driving around.




The Carver Park Reserve was our choice for a couple hours of bird watching.  Although there didn't seem to be many birds around, possibly due to the windy conditions, we did capture a few barn swallows and what I think is a prairie warbler.

We finished the day by stopping at the Coon Rapids Dam to watch the sunset over the mighty Mississippi River.

It was a good outing for us, not so sure about Pam's little Bichon, Jesse.




No comments:

Post a Comment