Tuesday, July 23, 2019

Penitente Canyon, CO (7/17?2019) & Silver Thread Byway, CO (7/18/2019)


On the way to Penitente Canyon, I passed the Colonel Pfeiffer gravesite.  Having never heard of him, I was surprised to learn he served with Kit Carson, and yet was befriended and honored by the Utes.  I'll bet the Navajo didn't think so highly of him since Carson was their mortal enemy.  I also spotted a few birds and wildflowers along the Rio Grande.

Black-billed Magpie


Shown on the map as one canyon, it turned out that there are several canyons within one site.  I found Penitente, Witches and Sidewinder Canyons, there may have been others.  I went there because it was said that pictographs, and possibly petroglyphs, could be found on the canyon walls.  But which canyon?  Also, there were just a few 4WD trails and they really led only to the many hiking trails.  Not knowing which trail to take or how far to the art, I didn't do any hiking, just drove the 4WD trails.








It's only 21 miles from South Fork to Creede on the Silver Thread Scenic Byway, but the scenery is truly special.  The road follows the Rio Grande River between mountains that go straight up, and most seem to be covered with unusual jagged spires, pinnacles and hoodoos.  The wildflowers were near peak, so made for an added attraction.













No comments:

Post a Comment