Tuesday, December 3, 2019

Deming, City of Rocks & Silver City, NM (12/2/2019)

In many trips across the country, I've stayed in Deming several times.  The last time here was December, 2017 and January, 2018.  Travelogues from that visit will give you a better feel for the area and why I stop there.   Deming, NM (12/27 thru12/30/2017) and Deming, NM (1/1 &1/2/2018).  As usual, once again I stayed at the LOW-Hi RV Ranch.  It's five miles from town (and I-10) so there's no traffic noise, and the people are always friendly.  I enjoy their coffee gatherings each morning that always start with hugs.  It was good to see a few new and younger people in the group.

Since I didn't make it to City of Rocks State Park last time, it was definitely on my agenda for this stop.  Although I was there back in the 90s, I wanted to see it again and get some digital photos.  I'm probably posting too many photos, since some people just aren't as interested in rocks as I am.  Can you believe it?

This large field of unusual boulders also serves as a campground, with each campsite situated among the boulders.  some will accommodate RVs with electic and water hook-ups.








After leaving the state park, I drove around a bit, finding more boulder fields and some good views, including a different perspective of Cooke's Peak, named for the Colonel who led the Mormon Battalion through here in 1846 on their way to San Diego.  The route they created was subsequently used by trappers, hunters and settlers.  The Butterfield Stage used Cooke's Canyon as part of its 2800 mile route from Saint Louis to San Francisco.  Ruins of its stations can be found all along that trail.  In its attempt to stop the influx of European settlers, the Apache Nation used the canyon to ambush and slaughter the whites.  It was considered the most dangerous part of the trail west.

I found a small Catholic church with cemetery, and a red-tailed hawk who cooperated in a flyover.


Next, I traveled to Silver City, where Billy The Kid grew up.  No time to visit the museum that so prominently displays Billy's history, I simply drove around and took photos of some of the unusual homes and commercial buildings I found.  Note the wall built of bottles set in cement and guess how the builder came by all the bottles.




This was my favorite home in Silver City.





Back in Deming, I took a photo of one of the many sparrows in the park.  Later, I went out for the sunset that produced color in all directions.






No comments:

Post a Comment