Thursday, December 22, 2016

Colorado National Monument, CO (12/20/2016)

I've had in mind for a while now to visit the "Monument" when there was snow on the ground.  With not much to do on Tuesday, I decided this might be a good time.  My impression from the TV weather was that Grand Junction had received more snow than Montrose, and we still had quite a bit on the ground.  Unfortunately, after driving 65 miles, I was a little disappointed to find less snow remained than I had hoped for.  Still, as long as I was there, you know I would go ahead and drive the rim road. For the most part,the photos will speak for themselves.

 








In all my visits here, I've bypassed the signs to "Glade Park Store" on a road that leaves the park.  This day, however, it was past my lunch time and I decided to visit the store in hopes of getting a little nourishment.  Five miles and I was there, on top of the plateau amid quite a few homes and ranches.  I never expected such a community.  The nice lady in the store offered to microwave a cheese-steak sandwich, which I shared with her little dog, Emma.  The lady told me the store had been there since 1907, but that she had "only" been running it for 25 years.  The CocaCola box must have been there much longer, I haven't seen one like it for years.
 

She mentioned that the man across the street was somewhat eccentric, and that he was spending the winter in Steinhatchee, FL (a place well known to me).  Before leaving, I took a couple photos of his house and some of the unusual things in the yard.  The observatory was very impressive, but I wonder why the stairs are outside.

Back to the Rim Road drive.









I also made a video of the drive through the park, which can be seen at Rim Road Drive

No comments:

Post a Comment