Friday, February 23, 2018

Desert Hot Springs, CA (2/20/2018) & Whitewater, CA (2/21/2018)

Some of you may remember my interest in the "Whispering Giants" scattered across North America.  These are large Indian heads sculpted by Hungarian-born Peter Toth to honor Native Americans. Last I heard, there are 73 of these works of art, but I've only visited about 30 of them.  Too often, I forget to look for them and then learn there was one in an area I just left.  That recently happened and I missed the very first one, carved into the rocky shore at La Jolla.  Too far to go back.  Anyway, I did remember there is one in the Palm Desert area and looked for it.  Turns out it is pretty close to where I'm staying, in Desert Hot Springs.  Its home is Cabot's Old Indian Museum and Trading Post.


That same day, I took a drive to Thousand Palms to check out the Coachella Valley Preserve.  This 20,000+ acre wilderness area is managed by the Center for Natural Lands Management, relying totally on donations as no fees are charged.  They have extensive hiking trails, including some along the San Andreas fault that runs right through the reserve.  I mostly walked along the fault and through the spring-fed wetlands.  Unfortunately, it was not a good day for wildlife and I saw only a few birds.  The do have a nice totem pole out of respect for the Indians who lived in this area for thousands of years.
The next day, I went to Whitewater Preserve located in Whitewater Canyon, one of five such parks operated by The Wildlands Conservancy.  I must say it is an excellent park with an abundance of hiking trails that may be why most people come here.  The grounds and trails could not be maintained any better, so I was happy to make my donation to the effort.

Entering Whitewater Canyon, I was struck first by the high, steep, rugged cliffs on either side.  This is clearly neither a city park nor a simple walk in the woods.  The warning sign at the entrance added a little emphasis to that feeling.  If one thing doesn't get you, another will.







 When he saw I was photographing birds, a young ranger opened the gate to their wetlands, normally closed to visitors, so I might see more wildlife.  There were lots of birds (I won't post all of them), including peregrine falcons that nest high on the cliffs.  Too bad they soar so high that good photos are not possible with my gear.  There were also a band of desert bighorn sheep moving about on the ridges.
Phainopepla

Peregrine Falcon

Dark-eyed Junco

Savannah Sparrow?

California Thrasher

Spotted Towhee

Cassin's Vireo

Gray Flycatcher?

?????

Desert Bighorn Sheep
Any of you birders out there should feel free to correct or supply bird IDs.  I've learned that many species have a California-only range, which makes it difficult for an outsider to make a positive ID.


No comments:

Post a Comment