Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Henderson, NV 3/11 & 3/12/2018)

As you can see, I have moved to a new location, leaving California in the dust.  I enjoyed a lot about CA, but not the bad roads and high gas prices (due to high gas taxes that don't go to roads, but to the governor's agenda).  It was an eye-opening experience for sure.

Henderson is a nice town, snuggled up close to Las Vegas.  I've been through it several times, but this is the first time I've stayed in Henderson.  I chose this location because there are a few wildlife parks nearby, plus the Lake Mead National Recreation Area.  I've never spent as much time around Lake Mead as I have Lake Powell, so this is a chance to improve on that situation.

I had never heard of the Las Vegas Wash, but it's a stream that runs for twelve miles from Las Vegas into Lake Mead.  It originally drained the groundwater present here, but is now augmented by reclaimed water and storm runoff.  As it passes through the natural wetlands, the water is filtered before going into Lake Mead, which is the source of drinking water for 25 million people.  The wetlands provide an oasis for wildlife, and miles of hiking/biking trails have been built along the stream.  I've been there twice and have a few photos to share.  The Northern Harrier is my first photo of that species.  All the ones I've seen before were far out over fields, hunting rodents.  Even this one was too far away for really good photos, but for now I'm happy to get them.

Gambel's Quail

Black Phoebe

Northern Harrier

Northern Harrier


Say's Phoebe
I had read about a place where ducks tend to stay, called Lake Las Vegas.  What a surprise to learn that it is an upscale community being developed in the mountains southeast of Henderson, and the Las Vegas Wash just happens to run through it.  While walking the trails there, I met a woman who lives there in the winters, but has lived in Chicken, Alaska for the past thirty years.  She told me her husband was smart enough to buy their home here during the financial crisis, so got in at a very good price.  Homes in her neighborhood now go for $700,000 to $900,000.  Of course, the neighborhoods where Celine Dion, Jennifer Lopez and Sylvester Stallone live are much more expensive.

Driving around Lake Las Vegas, I concluded this is one of the best residential/commercial developments I've ever seen, and they are still building.  The mature landscaping makes you forget you are in the desert, and the mountain scenery is gorgeous.   Unfortunately, the summers are still hot as blazes, so I wouldn't want to live here year round.

There were some ducks in the various lakes created for the development, as well as in the wetlands.
Female & male Buffleheads

Northern Pintail

American Wigeon
Ruddy Duck
 Here are a couple of the colorful mountains that surround Lake Las Vegas.



Every neighborhood in the development has a security gate, and most have a waterfall at the entrance.  Naturally, I couldn't get close to the most exclusive properties.


 
The shopping district is quite nice and includes a Weston Hotel, where former President Obama stayed on his golfing vacations.
Here are a few sunrise photos from my first morning in Henderson.




No comments:

Post a Comment