Friday, September 27, 2019

Montrose, Ouray & Ridgway, CO (September, 2019)

Still no significant travel for me, but I did make a few day trips over the past several weeks.  Just recently I have been scouting for Fall color, which was delayed somewhat this year due to the abundant supply of water last Spring.  Despite the delay, it was a good thing for the trees that had been in drought conditions for several years.

First, a couple of the ever popular sunsets.  I have to admit, however, that I missed some of the more spectacular sunsets, which seem to occur over the week-ends when I'm at home watching football on TV.


While visiting Ridgway, I got a good view of the San Juan Mountains over the lake at Ridgway State Park.  Then I drove by the former home of Dennis Weaver, one of the so-called "earth ships" built using re-cycled tires and other materials.  Weaver died in 2006 and his family sold the home a few years later.


Back roads around Montrose provided a number of interesting scenes, including a variety of birds, a bull elk and a small waterfall.  One farm had its water "cannons" irrigating the pasture and creating rainbows all around.
Black-headed Grosbeak

Gray Gnatcatcher

Red-shafted Northern Flicker

Female House Sparrow

Black-beaked Magpie

Western Kingbird

Western Meadowlark



Mountain Bluebird

Song Sparrow


Finally, we are beginning to see Fall color in small pockets, especially in the higher elevations.  The Million Dollar Highway south of Ouray is nearing its peak, but isn't there yet.    I will return next week in hopes of seeing peak color.  Note that clouds and rain rolled in during my visit, with the result that some photos are somewhat darker than I would have hoped.










No comments:

Post a Comment