Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Sierra Vista, AZ (1/26/2020 through 2/9/2020)

Since arriving in Sierra Vista, most of my time has been spent looking for a house to buy.  Checking out some of the re-sales on the market, I realized it was extremely unlikely that I would find a place to satisfy my desires.  Once I established that new construction was for me, I began investigating various builders in town and sizing up the neighborhoods being developed.  Before long, I settled on a particular neighborhood and its developer.  As fate would have it, only one lot was still available in this rather large neighborhood and I expressed interest only minutes before a couple arrived and got in line behind me.  In the end, there were three potential buyers after me.

It took time selecting the floor plan and all the fixtures, options, materials and colors, but that was eventually done and a final price negotiated.  The expected completion date is around October, which means the construction will be nearly complete when I return from my Spring/Summer trip.  Here's the starting point, a small lot but large enough for me and the girls.


So now you know why I've been absent from the travelogue.  With most of my time committed to the search for a new home, there's been little time for anything else.  However, I do have a few things to share with you.  Having stayed near here the past two winters, I was impressed by the spectacular sunrises and sunsets, and I've managed to get out for a few so far this year.  One evening I went to the Veterans Memorial Cemetery hoping for a good sunset.  It didn't pan out that night, but proved to be a good spot on another occasion.



There was also a decent sunrise I was able to capture.

On a Sunday afternoon, I took a drive into Carr Canyon, one of several in the Huachuca Mountains.  The road through this canyon goes all the way over the mountains to the far side.  A seasonal waterfall can also be seen from the road.  Unfortunately, the road is closed near the top in Winter, and the waterfall is dry this time of year.  I can see its potential if I'm ever here during the rainy season.

There hasn't even been a lot of time for birding, although I have had a few opportunities while driving around town.  Twice I've spotted red-tailed hawks, one perched on the roof of a house.




My campground has numerous trees, so smaller birds are attracted here.
House Finch

Song Sparrow

Cassin's Vireo
While exploring one of the neighborhoods in town, I was surprised to see colorful daisies blooming along a wall.  I would not have expected such plants here in the desert.
My builder has promised to email photos of my house while I'm traveling, so I'll be sure to share them so we can monitor progress.




1 comment:

  1. Congratulations...you are amazing in making all these decisions.Is your calendar filling up? We are in Big Pine Key on a Mission trip. Damage from Irma is still unbelievable. It is fun to see the progress we have made.Off to the site.

    ReplyDelete