Sunday, April 26, 2020

Port Orford, OR (4/16 & 17/2020)

For several days, I stayed close to camp and tried to check out everything in Port Orford.  With the state parks closed, I feel like I've missed most of what the town would normally offer visitors.  I decided to drive to Laird Lake, which is off of Elk River Rd.  The lake proved to be pretty small and not very photogenic, but I took a couple photos on the way to the lake.
 

Coming back from the lake, I saw a truck that had gone off the road, so I stopped to offer help.  As it turned out, the driver had not been in the truck when it went over the side.  He thought it had not gone fully into Park when he got out, then rolled back and off the road.  I suspect he parked too far onto the narrow shoulder and the truck slid over.  However it happened, his brother had arrived to help and a tow truck had been summoned, so I left.

Farther down the mountain, one home had a beautiful blooming tree.


That evening, I went to my usual sunset location at Paradise Point. While the sunset wasn't spectacular, it was better than most I've seen here.  By changing exposure, I achieved different effects of the patch of pink wildflowers there.  It may not be apparent in the photos, but the beach is about 100 feet below the parking area.  There is a road down to the beach, but I haven't seen any reason to go down there.  You may also notice the Cape Blanco lighthouse several miles up the coast, which is in a state park and therefore not available for me to visit.
 




The next day started out foggy, so I went to Battle Rock to grab some shots of the socked-in coast.

After the fog burned off, I drove around town looking for anything interesting enough to photograph (a symptom of cabin fever, no doubt).  I found a residential garage with a mural painted on one wall.  Then I noticed it included the seal of the State of Jefferson.  If you've never heard of this, it is a movement among residents of Northern California and Southern Oregon to break away from their current states and form the 51st state.  The movement has been going on for many years and was close to succeeding in 1941when the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor and interrupted the effort.  Given the tax revenue from those areas, Oregon and California aren't likely to let it happen now.

Port Orford, like other nearby towns, has an abundance of nicely landscaped yards.  I'm convinced this may be the perfect climate for growing many plants, never too hot or too cold and lots of rain.









One plant that is widespread looks much like gorse with bright yellow blooms, but has a different growth pattern and some of the blooms have a touch of red.  More importantly, this plant doesn't have the vicious spines found on gorse.  It is called Scotch broom and was also brought here from Europe by early settlers.


There were plenty of birds around on this day, but few willing to pose for me.
Red-winged Blackbird


White-throated Sparrow

Steller's Jay


1 comment: