Monday, May 10, 2021

Santa Fe, NM (5/1/2021)

 My decision to stay at HIPICO Equestrian Center was based partly on the hope of seeing some actual events.  When I first arrived, I was told no events were scheduled.  That obviously changed, however, and several events were held on my last full day.  Instead of making my planned trip to Las Vegas, NM, I stayed at HIPICO to watch and photograph the horses.  It was a fun day, reminding me of the time my grand-daughters accompanied me to Lexington, KY and we stayed at Kentucky Horse Park.

The first event involved miniature horses (it was emphasized these are not ponies, not midgets, but miniatures) pulling small sulkies, just like the larger trotters.  It was quite a show.  Miniature horses stand between 30 inches and 42 inches at the withers, but the ones at this show were about 32 to 34 inches tall.  Their size is the result of many generations of selective breeding.  Miniatures are generally very friendly and make good family pets.






The second show I attended was jumping, with the competition limited to novice riders, all young women.  Horses and riders performed very well, I thought, and the horses were all beautiful.













It was a fine finish to a very nice week in Santa Fe and concluded my time in New Mexico.

No comments:

Post a Comment