Sunday, May 8, 2022

Safford, AZ - April 21, 2022

 I drove through this little town several years ago and was impressed by nearby Mount Graham.  Since then, I've had it in mind to go back and drive the road to the top of this lovely hunk of rock, and this was my opportunity.  I chose to camp at Roper Lake State Park because it's convenient and because it claims to have lots of birds.

The park has good views of Mount Graham across the lake, and the road up the mountain is scenic at the beginning.  Unfortunately, as I drove higher, the forest completely blocked the views, creating a fairly boring experience.  I turned around shortly before reaching the summit, but I feel like the part I did was worthwhile.  







Poring over the map of the area around Safford, I noticed the Gila Box Riparian National Conservation Area and decided to check it out.  When I first entered the park, it struck me as some of the most desolate, rugged terrain one could imagine.  However, I soon began to appreciate the stark beauty created by the bright yellow blooms of the many trees and shrubs scattered among the endless rocks and dirt of the desert.  The palo verde trees, creosote plants and other blooming plants stood out like neon lights against the harsh backdrop.  Down in the main gorge, where the Gila River flows, the mesquite and cottonwood trees presented a lush cover of glorious green.  It was an amazing contrast to be sure.

 











 

Back at Roper Lake, it was clear that their claim of having a lot of birds was true.  Here are a few of those I saw.

Hooded Oriole

Red-winged Blackbird (Male)

Vermilion Flycatcher

Red-winged Blackbird (Female)

No comments:

Post a Comment