Tuesday, August 22, 2023

Mule Canyon, Utah - April 11, 2007 (Re-run)

 There are two forks to Mule Canyon, South and North, and both have Anasazi ruins.  On this day, I hiked the South Fork because it has the famous  House On Fire ruins, as well as others that get less publicity.  House On Fire got its name because the ruins are below a sandstone overhang that looks like flames when the sun is right.  However, clouds rolled in while I was making the one-mile hike, so I did not get the effect I was after.  (Not to worry, I made a return several years later and saw the House On Fire.)










I knew there were more ruins ahead, but had no information as to how far they were or how to find them, so I kept walking for a couple more miles and found several more ruins.  They were on the wall of the canyon, fairly high above the trail.  I was not inclined to climb up to the ruins, but settled for photos from where I was.  It was a pleasant walk, nothing strenuous or challenging, just a few stream crossings.  I learned later that a really good ruin was about half a mile past my turnaround point.  That;s the way it goes.
























No comments:

Post a Comment