Thursday, September 6, 2018

Meeker, CO (9/3/2018)

Wanting to make a short trip, I decided to visit some areas in Wyoming that I haven't seen for years.  However, my route would take me through Meeker, CO, which is the western end of the Flat Tops Scenic Trail.  Spending a couple days in Meeker allowed me to explore this area for the first time.

Arriving on Labor Day, I started by getting familiar with the town, then exploring some of the back roads in the area.  The town is the County Seat of Rio Blanco County and, with a population of 2500, is the largest town in the county.  It was founded in 1883, several years after Indian Agent Nathan Meeker and eleven other U.S. citizens were killed by Ute Indians.  There is still a highway sign marking the site of the "Meeker Massacre".  Sites of other battles between the cavalry and Utes are marked around the White River Valley.

Originally, I planned to stay here three days, but only two days were available at the RV Park, and other campgrounds were booked as well.  The was because the Meeker Classic Sheepdog Trials were starting on the 5th.  This test of sheepdogs has been held annually for more than thirty years and draws people from all over. Wondering why Meeker is the site for this event, I soon noticed there are quite a few sheep ranches in the area.
Site of sheepdog trials.

Sheep being herded.

 Taking a back road into the mountains, I soon began to see some interesting rock formations.



As I got higher on the mountain, fall color was appearing among the fields of service berry.  Looking back, I could see the road I had followed.

Descending the other side of the mountain, I came across a coal mining site, reminding me that Colorado still produces a lot of coal for powering electric generating plants.
There was also a scorched area from a recent wildfire.  As you can see, it was mostly sage brush that got burned, no great harm.
A common sight in this area is the pronghorn, North America's fastest land animal.
The White River Valley is a broad, grassy plain with many ranches, raising both sheep and cattle.  Some of the homes are very impressive.

Downtown Meeker is what you might expect of an old town in an agricultural community.  In other words, not a lot of attractive buildings to show you.  The Meeker Hotel and Cafe was recommended by several people, so I gave it a try.  It was probably the most interesting building in town, and the lobby had numerous stuffed animals and heads mounted on the walls.  There was also an old heater indicating the hotel opened in 1896.



Finally, I enjoyed a nice sunset over the mountains.






2 comments:

  1. As usual .. I loved the sunset . . maybe you can get reservations now for next year . . I would think the dog trials would be fascinating . . I saw a show in New Zealand . . they are remarkable dogs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Judy. I actually wanted to stay for the trials, but no room in the inn. Not sure about nextyear.

      Delete