Sunday, September 16, 2018

Thermopolis, WY (9/9/2018), Greybull, WY (9/11/2018)

While staying in Thermopolis, I learned of a place called Gooseberry Badlands, about 25 miles west of town.  It's one of those places where wind and water, over millions of years, have created a giant hole in the ground exposing many layers of colorful rock and silt.  A trail meanders through it, giving the visitor an up-close look at some of nature's finest abstract art.








And before I get into my next stop, Greybull, here are just a few random images from Thermopolis.
"No Bills, Please"

Impressive Ram

"Oreo" Bull
Greybull is another small town situated on the Big Horn River.  I visited here in 2003, so I had an idea what to expect.  While I wanted to re-visit certain areas, there were also some places to see for the first time.

My first morning dawned bright, but not so clear.  It was hazy all day.  The sunrise itself was nothing special, but it did light up some of the nearby formations.
 

A place I'd not seen before is called Devil's Kitchen.  Once again, it is simply a huge hole in the ground created by erosion.  The hoodoos left behind are different than other places of this type, but just as colorful.  I spent time going around the rim of the "canyon" before finding a trail down to the bottom.  What an incredible place, looking down or looking up.









No comments:

Post a Comment