Saturday, November 3, 2018

Lake Mead NRA, NV and Meadview, AZ (11/1 & 11/2/2018)

Moving from Overton to Meadview, AZ means driving along Northshore Road in the Lake Mead NRA, which I have driven numerous times.  Nonetheless, I am always excited to see the colorful and dramatic rock formations, and inspired to take lots of photographs (many of them repeats).  My challenge today was to minimize the number of photo stops, or else it would take forever to reach my destination.  I hope these few photos will convey the beauty that I see along that road.


 This is the "Bowl of Fire" that I hiked to last time here.
Meadview, Az is a small community in Northwest Arizona, smack in the middle of some of the most desolate land the Mojave Desert has to offer.  I just happened to spot the RV park here while exploring with Google Maps.  From US 93, it is 38 miles of nothingness to reach Meadview.  The road is pretty good, although the motor home lost a wheel cover along the way, probably when crossing one of the cattle guards.

It was disappointing to learn that Meadview doesn't actually have a view of Lake Mead.  You have to drive to the ridge west of town to see the narrow sliver of South Cove, and beyond that an even narrower slice of the main part of Lake Mead.  I wanted to complain about false advertising, but the Chamber of Commerce was closed.
The town was settled in the 1960s as a retirement community, meaning the land was cheap and housing "affordable".  No showplace homes here, many are mobile homes.  Still, everyone I've met has been very nice and friendly.  The small RV park, combined with a four-unit motel, is owned by a sweet elderly couple who made me feel welcome.  They sold their farm and bought this business about 22 years ago.  It hasn't made them rich, but they love it here and seem genuinely happy with their life.  As for me, I decided a week here would be too much, so reduced my stay to four days, two of which will be devoted to football on TV (they get 21 channels here).

I also met a real life gold prospector.  A man who lives full time in the RV park goes somewhere south for several months every winter.  He and two friends have recorded claims that they  prospect for gold.  They pulled out with ATV, picks and other gear.  When I wished Dave luck, he told me he found no gold last year, but an ounce the year before.  What a retirement plan.

My first evening in Meadview, the sunset was fabulous.  I took lots of photos, but will try to limit the number here so as not to bore you.




Walking back to the LRJ, I noticed the sunset was mirrored on the side.
The next day, I explored the area north of town, which I knew would lead to the South Cove Marina and the Colorado River.  On the way, a spur road took me to an old, gravel air strip (the sign says "Airport").  The strip dates from the 1930s, when Lake Mead was created.  Small planes would bring tourists here from Las Vegas.  At that time, the bluff provided a good view of the lake, but lowering levels have changed that.  Now there is a steady stream of helicopters bringing folks from Vegas to Grand Canyon West so they can walk on the Skywalk built by the Hualapai Indians.  The views from up here are pretty good.  You can see the road as it continues on down into the valley.  The road had to be extended several miles as Lake Mead lowered over the years.


This is where the Grand Canyon ends and the river used to enter Lake Mead, now several miles downstream.  As an aside, some people blame drought for lower reservoir levels.  That may be a factor, but it seems to me they are simply trying to provide water to more people than ever expected.  The three states supplied by Lake Mead have all seen huge population increases.  I hope someone is seeking alternative sources.

Driving on down to the river, I came upon some campsites and a few strange buildings.  The first looked a little like Forest Service toilets, but there was no outlet, just solid concrete floors.  I later learned there was a series of earthquakes in the region after Hoover Dam was finished and Lake Mead filled.  It was suspected the weight of the lake, calculated to be more than 100 times the weight of all people on earth combined, could be the cause.  Two small buildings were constructed, one housing a seismograph, the other a generator to power it.
 This old foundation dates from the period when the Civilian Conservation Corps were here, building facilities for the expected tourism boom once Lake Mead was filled.  That, of course, never materialized.
Following the road to its end, I reached the place where rafts are taken out after running the Grand Canyon.  Several vans and trailers were waiting for the next groups to finish the run.  Here you can see how the Colorado earned its name, bringing tons of red soil from places like Moab and Page.

In 1876, a man named Pearce built a ferry at this site, expecting to transport Mormon families moving from Utah to settle in Arizona.  The first group came across in 1877, but the route was so difficult, a new route was established farther south.  Pearce eventually abandoned his ferry.
 Backtracking up onto the plateau, I took the road that goes down to South Cove Marina.  This is another steep and winding road with nice scenery along the way.  The marina is really nothing more than a public boat ramp and picnic area.  The boat ramp, having been extended several times, is now about a quarter mile long.

At last it hit me that I had been here before.  Checking my records, it was clear that Eloise and I took this side trip on the way to Hoover Dam in 2006.  I had completely forgotten coming here and had been thinking it was a new place for me.  I did return to South Cove later for the sunset.




No comments:

Post a Comment