Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Lake Mead, NV (11/16/2018) & Kingman Wash, AZ (11/19/2018)

Starting north to work my way back to Colorado, I stopped at Lake Mead and signed up for a week at Lake Mead RV Village, a nice park not far from Hoover Dam.  Not only is it a scenic location, there are several things in this area on my list to do.

My first morning here, I went out for sunrise and found a pretty good spot to watch it.


Later, I went to the 33 Hole Overlook, the trailhead for the hike through Owl Canyon.  I had read about this canyon and saw a few photos taken there.  I knew it was a pretty slot canyon, only 2.2 miles round trip, with an elevation gain of 320 feet.  I felt I could handle it, especially when I read that some barn owls live in it.  How cool is that?

At the trailhead, reality set in.  The trail started by going down a steep slope, perhaps 200 feet to the bottom of a wash.  Then it went up hill, under the highway and up the hill some more.  I figured out how they calculated the elevation gain.  Down 200 feet, then up 520 feet, a net gain of 320 feet.  On the way back, down 520 feet, then up 200 feet for a net loss of 320 feet.  However, in my mind, it was up 520 and up 200, forget the downs.  That's up 720 feet and more than I was expecting.  I thought about it and started down the hill, telling myself I could do it.  About one-third the way down, discretion kicked in and I turned back.  That little climb convinced me it was a good decision.  I took a few photos around the lake and left.


Next, I went to a trail along the Las Vegas Wash, a rare riparian area in a desert.  This is where all the storm water runoff and treated waste water from three cities flows into Lake Mead.  I've hiked along the wash in other locations and had good luck finding water fowl.  Unfortunately, I soon learned that this particular trail also drops down a steep slope to the wash, so a steep climb would be required on the way back.  Bummer.  I walked along the rim, took a few photos, then left.


Disappointed at these two failures, I went to the community of Lake Las Vegas, a very nice and rapidly growing development.  At the entry to the neighborhood are several waterfalls and ponds that attract ducks.  There I found some ring-necked ducks who were cooperative.
Female Ring-necked Duck

Male Ring-necked Duck
After relaxing all afternoon, and cursing the effects of old age, I went to Sunset Point Overlook and got a first class show.  Just as the sun started below the mountains, a sun dog appeared.  This is caused by ice crystals in the atmosphere refracting the sunlight, similar to water crystals causing a rainbow.  Typically, there are two sundogs, level with the sun, one on either side.  If there was a second one this time, it was behind the mountain.  Sometimes, a halo around the sun will form, and you can see a partial one in the first photo below.
In the next photo, it appears that a sun dog is starting to form directly above the sun.


As the strong light hits the mountains across the lake, one area gets a little brighter than its surroundings.  I learned this area is called the "Paint Pots", and there is a 4WD road that goes there.
 On Monday morning, I drove over to Arizona again and found the road to Kingman Wash, where the Paint Pots are.  The road was pretty good and the scenery was much better up close, as opposed to seeing it across the lake.  Early morning sun lit the formations like I had hoped.



I was able to drive right to the edge of the lake, an area that would be deep underwater if the lake was at normal level.
Another road was signed "Fortification Hill" so I took it with no clue where it went.  Turns out it stopped at a fence after climbing the hill for several miles.  Along the way, I saw a couple birds and several wild burros.  After seeing burro droppings all over the trails in Arizona, it was good to finally see some of the culprits.
Canyon Wren

Say's Phoebe

I made some other stops in Arizona, but that can wait for the next travelogue update.




No comments:

Post a Comment