Thursday, January 31, 2019

Whitewater Draw, AZ (1/29/2019)

Whitewater Draw is a 1500 acre wildlife area managed by the state of Arizona.  Formerly ranch and farmland, a series of dykes and a regular flooding program have created an attractive habitat for all manner of wildlife.  Throughout the year, numerous species of birds, mammals, amphibians and reptiles live in or visit the area.  The greatest variety of birds occurs in the spring and fall migrations, but winter draws the largest number of human visitors to see the wintering sandhill cranes and snow geese, both of which number in the thousands.  By some estimates, 25-30,000 cranes spend the winter here.  Serious birders often camp here to pursue their pastime for days or even weeks.

While driving to Whitewater Draw, some 50 miles from my campsite, we spotted a red-tailed hawk perched on a small tree not far off the road.  I immediately noticed it was a "dark morph" (brown underside vs. white with brown streaks) which represents only about 15% of western red-tails.  I parked a fair distance away to avoid spooking the bird and took one photo from there.
Since I was too far away for high detail photos, I tried to edge closer.  As expected, the bird flew but circled the same general area.  Still farther than ideal, I fired off several shots and got a few borderline acceptable photos.
Once at the preserve, walking toward the wetlands I encountered a western meadowlark hiding in the grass, and a couple vesper sparrows as I usually see them, flying away.  The white tailfeathers are a dead giveaway.
Western Meadowlark

Vesper Sparrow
The cranes stay in the water overnight to be safe from predators, then fly away in mass to nearby fields to feed on grain.  Later in the day, they begin to return.  At 1 pm, several thousand had already returned, but the bulk of the flock would not return until near dark.  Even in smaller numbers, they seemed to fill the sky and the grounds..





The cranes are naturally slate gray, but some have a rusty or bronze color, said to be stain from mud containing certain minerals.
The crane in this next photo seems all puffed up about something.
A variety of ducks could be seen either swimming or flying into the ponds.
Male Northern Pintail

Female Northern Pintail
Female Northern Pintail

Male Northern Shoveler

Male Green-winged Teal



Despite heavy overcast weather that made photography difficult, it was great to see all the birds.  No doubt another visit, on a sunny day, will be on my agenda.

1 comment:

  1. I love the sandhill cranes .. there is a pair close to my house and they return each year to have at least one baby . . their cry is amazing . . really shocked me the first time I heard one . . I know they mate for life and I'm always afraid that one year there will only be one

    ReplyDelete