Friday, February 8, 2019

Cochise County, AZ (1/29 thru 2/7/2019)

Recent travelogues had no sunset photos, there just wasn't enough room.  This one will catch up for the time being.  The weather has been strange over the past week, a little rain, a lot of wind, with a couple cold nights thrown in for good measure.  Most evenings, stormy clouds developed to give some dramatic sunsets, if not the classic sunsets I saw here two years ago.

Of course, some days the sky was clear so there was no color to capture.  By driving around to different areas, I was able to get the different foregrounds you see.
1/29
1/30

1/31

1/31

2/5

2/5

2/5

2/5

2/6

2/6
During this period of bad weather, I've taken time to do some chores, such as laundry, shopping and having the MH generator serviced.  Oh yeah, I took in a movie for the first time in several years.  Finally, yesterday was much nicer so I drove into several canyons in the Huachuca Mountains. There was nothing spectacular, just pleasant scenery and the usual wildlife.
Ramsey Canyon
 One yard had at least 25 turkeys roaming around.  Deer were also plentiful, though mostly in the shadows.


In Brown Canyon, I came across the ruins of an old stone structure near the ranch house. thought to be a barn that probably dates back to when the canyon was settled in 1880.

 An American Kestrel came out of nowhere and flew directly over the LRJ, then found  a perch near the top of a 25 foot tall agave bloom stalk about 100 yards from me.  While it was too far for good shots, I couldn't resist getting a few photos.


In Carr Canyon, there was a good view of the high cliffs.

 I passed several homes in the lower parts of the canyon, but I liked this "country" home best.  About a dozen deer were grazing in the side yard.  This road climbed pretty high in the canyon, but was closed just as it was getting interesting.  Must have been a rock slide or something similar.

Miller Canyon is said to be a great birding location, but not in winter.  I saw very few birds there, but several more deer, and the scenery was pretty good.  One photo includes the Border Patrol blimp that monitors a broad area for illegal aliens.  The border is only a few miles away.




Coming back down the canyon, a road runner sped across the road in front of me, stopping in some weeds where he thought it was safe.




1 comment:

  1. Loved the sunsets .. and the road runner. . also I'm always amazed at the lovely houses out in the middle of nowhere . .that life certainly isn't for me .

    ReplyDelete