Thursday, February 28, 2019

Tucson, AZ (2/25/2019)

As previously noted, I try to visit different parks each time I'm in Tucson.  One that had been recommended to me is Agua Caliente, a former farm/ranch that once operated a hot springs resort.  On my way to it, there was a detour caused by flood water crossing the road.  This was four days after the rain had ended.  The water was no more than eight inches deep, but I wonder what it was like at the height of the storm.  TV news had shown a van swept off the road into a ditch, so the flow must have been pretty strong.


It turned out the park is very nice, but had almost no birds to photograph.  Must be the wrong season for them.  Having driven all the way across town, I wasn't willing to give up my afternoon.  I decided to drive up Mount Lemmon, which is close by.  I had planned to do it another day when I would have a full day for it.  Actually, I would have liked to visit right after the 30 inch snowfall, but the road was closed to all except residents and workers while snow removal was taking place.  Even four days later, parts of the road were still not open.

The Catalina Highway, also known as the Mount Lemmon Highway, is roughly 26 miles long and rises almost 7000 feet from the valley floor.  The village of Summerhaven, near the top, has several galleries, shops and restaurants.  A ski resort is at the very end of the road.  Since Mount Lemmon is typically 30 degrees cooler than Tucson in the summer, it is a popular spot on week-ends for people trying to escape the desert heat.

As Tucson expands in all directions, homes are being built part way up the mountains, as far as there is private property.  Most of them are quite impressive.

The highway is not only steep, but full of twists, turns and switchbacks.  Nothing scary, mind you, but it does keep your attention.  Numerous pull-outs are provided so drivers can stop and enjoy the fabulous scenery.

It was amazing to see how much snow had melted in just a few days, but streams and waterfalls were everywhere.



One of the pull-outs overlooks the Seven Cataracts Canyon, but I was only certain of seeing five of the seven waterfalls.

Because it was getting late, I stopped at the Windy Point overlook, about halfway to the top.  Still, the rock formations and views into all the canyons and down into Tucson made it a worthwhile trip.  At the same time, I was reminded of driving up here in June, 2003 and enjoying the beauty and a great lunch, only to have a forest fire cover the mountain just days later.  What a shame that was.






I made a video of the ride down the mountain.  It lasts about five minutes and can be seen at Mount Lemmon Highway.


Later that evening, I made my way to Sentinel Peak, the best place in Tucson for viewing sunsets.  This small mountain right in town is also known as "A Hill" because it has a large letter "A" mounted near the top.  It's a tradition for students at the University of Arizona to climb up and touch the "A".  In addition, a road goes near the top and locals come here each evening in droves.  There are bikers and hikers, families enjoying picnics, people just hanging out, and like me, folks who want to watch the sunset.  This location provides a clear view in nearly all directions, an important feature with these 360 degree color shows that frequently occur.  This was one of those nights.








No comments:

Post a Comment