Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Phoenix & Buckeye, AZ (11/8 thru 11/12/2019)

Things have been pretty quiet here in Goodyear, but I have been visiting nearby towns in an effort to drum up some worthwhile activity.  Quite frankly, the many parks on the west side of Phoenix (which led me to choose this area for a base camp) have been somewhat disappointing.  There hasn't been much water, very few trees of any size, and not many birds (except for mourning doves, grackles and mallard ducks, all of which I have more than enough photos already).  One neighborhood has two lovely lakes, but primarily those birds that don't interest me.

Another item on my "to do" list, a visit to the Phoenix Mormon Temple, has been accomplished.  This is the sixth temple I've seen in the state of Arizona, leaving only the most recent addition near Tucson.  That one will stay on my list for now.  Anyway, after slugging my way through afternoon traffic, I spent several enjoyable hours walking the grounds until after dark.
I even got some time at a nearby conservation area where there was one cooperative
bird, a cactus wren.

When I returned to the temple, I noticed a red-tailed hawk perched on the golden trumpet of the angel Moroni.
There was a nice sunset that evening, although it was mostly hidden behind a mountain range.






On the day I hiked around the lakes in the community of Estrella, there were only two birds I wanted to photograph, a kildeer and some type of sandpiper (I think it's a least sandpiper, but who cares?).


Another morning I drove through the old town of Buckeye to a state wildlife area.  Here I found a few birds, but not the numbers I was hoping for.  Mostly there were yellow-rumped warblers and one black phoebe.  I liked the "spotlight" on one of the warblers.  On the way out, there was a red-tailed hawked perched in their favorite location, the cross-arm of a power pole.



I have been around Phoenix numerous times over the years, either driving through or visiting some of the other towns in the valley, but the last time I went downtown Phoenix was in 1979.  You can imagine how much it has changed in forty years.  My first stop was at the Arizona State Capitol complex.  In addition to the old building I saw way back, there are now several additions.  I still like the original building best.

Patterned after the Washington Mall, there is a memorial plaza across the street with about thirty monuments to individuals, organizations and events.  I'll just share with you some of my favorites.
Father Kino, among other accomplishments, founded 26 missions, mostly among native tribes.

Navajo "Code Talker" Memorial
 There is a memorial to the Bill of Rights, the first ten amendments to our constitution.  The first two seem to be under constant attack these days.


The Battle of The Bulge was probably the most decisive battle against Germany in WWII.

The Desert Storm Memorial is definitely the most colorful.

The Korean Wae Memorial includes a traditional bell presented by South Korea.

Part of the USS Arizona Memorial includes a name tag for each sailor who went down with the ship in the attack on Pearl Harbor.

The tribute to the 9/11 terrorist attack is very touching to me.

There is even a memorial to the Arizona Confederates (who knew?)


Unfortunately, the plaza has become a gathering place for protests and demonstrations, with over 100,000 assembled to protest immigration policies in 2007.  A sign of our times, every monument has caused a certain amount of controversy in one group or another.

No comments:

Post a Comment