Saturday, May 7, 2016

Kanab, UT to Montrose, CO (5/3 & 5/4/2016)

In many visits to Kanab, I have driven north on US 89 only as far as US 12, which I've then taken by Bryce Canyon, Escalante, Capitol Reef, etc.  That is one of the more spectacular roads in the US, with many things to do along the way.  This time, however, I was anxious to get to Colorado and start looking for a place to live.  For that reason, I stayed on US 89 all the way to Interstate 70, a route that I had never taken before.  I must say I was surprised and amazed at some of the scenery along this route.

Not far from the turnoff to Bryce Canyon, there is a startling view of the same features you'll see in Bryce.

Farther along US 89 are a variety of colorful rock formations right by the road, tempting a driver to let his eyes wander just a bit.


Passing the summit of the mountain road enshrouded by a low-hanging cloud, I had to take a photo through the windshield.  When I looked at the photo, I could see that someone had taken his eyes off the road a little too long.

The town of Circleville is where Robert Leroy Parker (no relation) grew up and began a life of crime.  Shortly after leaving home, he changed his name to Butch Cassidy.  The main street of Circleville, and some of its side streets, were lined in these gorgeous flowering trees.

The Circleville courthouse was also impressive.

There seemed to be no end to the colorful formations along the road.  Not able to stop for photos, I simply pointed the camera out the window and snapped away, hoping to get decent images.  Needless to say, many had to be tossed, but I chose to keep the one with part of my rear-view mirror in it.


Once on Interstate 70, the spectacular scenery never stopped.  This stretch of I-70 through Utah and Colorado is considered to be an engineering marvel because of the canyons and mountains that had to be conquered.  A sign soon warned me there are no services for 110 miles.  The only stops are rest areas, scenic overlooks and runaway truck ramps.



When I finally arrived in Montrose, I got a quick reminder of why I want to settle here.

3 comments:

  1. ...are you talking about a permanent place to live, or just for a bit?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a special place in my heart for any Bryce photographs . . . I was fortunate to have worked there one summer when I was in college . . . one of the times that we went back they were closed . . . but when I told the Ranger my story . . . he let me go as far as the lodge and rim close to it . . . snow was already falling . . . simply stunning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bryce in winter is purely magical, and winter lasts a long time there.

      Delete