Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Adobe Hills, Black Canyon & Telluride (9/12 & 9/13/2016)

Visiting Black Canyon for the umpteenth time this summer, I made only two photos on this visit.  The first was another shot of the famous "Painted Wall", with the Gunnison River visible below.  The second is a view of the West Elk mountain range near the town of Crested Butte.

It was such a stormy day, I had been reluctant to drive the back roads to Black Canyon, but we gave it a shot.  Although I made no photos while driving through the "badlands", I did make a video that shows about three minutes out of a 20 minute drive.  It can be viewed at Adobe Hills.  The video camera was still running when we drove down to East Portal at the bottom of Black Canyon.  This road includes about two miles of 16% grade and ends at the Gunnison River.  This is where a tunnel was dug to supply water to the Montrose area, and it's still operating today.  This video can be seen at East Portal Descent.

Later that evening, the storm clouds were very thick, but I went out hoping for a sunset.  While it wasn't what I was hoping for, I did take a few photos.







The weather was much improved the next day, so we headed to Telluride.  Again, I took very few photos since I have been there several times this year.  Here are just a couple I want to share with you.




No comments:

Post a Comment