Monday, October 16, 2017

Nageezi, NM (10/15/2017)

Nageezi is a tiny little Navajo village about 50 miles south of where I was staying, in Aztec.  Near there are some rugged badlands that have been on my "to do" list for some time.  I was reluctant to drive that distance, not knowing what to expect.  Since I planned to pass there in the motor home, I wondered if there was a place to park it, then take the LRJ to explore.  In the end, I decided to make the long drive.

The canyons in this area have a great variety of color, shapes and texture.  Because it's part of a large oil field, there are many roads through the canyons, most in pretty good shape.  The roads are, in many cases, right beside the formations, so it isn't necessary to hike a lot to enjoy the scenery.  I did get out and walk among the hoodoos for a while, and I'm sure more walking would be rewarded, but a lot can be seen from the car.

The surprise was finding a great spot to park the motor home.  If I decide to return, or to re-visit nearby Chaco Canyon National Historic Park, I could easily dry camp close enough to see it all.  I met a couple who had done just that after driving to Chaco Canyon (sixteen miles of bad road), only to find the campground there full.

Anyway, here are some of the photos I took at Lybrook Wilderness Area.

















Despite its arid appearance, this area is obviously getting enough water to support large fields of plant life and hundreds of cattle.  The cottonwoods are sparse, but some do grow along the washes.  Also, I spotted several stock ponds to serve the cattle.




No comments:

Post a Comment