Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Buffington Pockets & Logandale, NV (3/24 & 3/26/2018)

One of the better known 4WD trails around Valley of Fire State Park and Lake Mead is called Bitter Springs Trail.  It's about 28 miles long, ending at North Shore Rd, which was more than I wanted to do.  However, I heard that a short section of the trail, through Buffington Pockets, has some nice scenery and some petroglyphs, just what I was looking for.

The washboard trail was four miles long before entering Buffington Pockets, where the really rough track began.  I would say this was the rockiest trail I've experienced on this entire trip.  I needed every inch of clearance to safely pass the large stones in the trail, and then it was very slow going.  The good news is: the scenery was stunning and the LRJ was up to the challenge.  While I was unsuccessful at finding petroglyphs, I felt the trip through the "pockets" was worth the effort.



Part of the trail.


 An old dam, built by the CCC in the 1930s, creates some small but lovely pools in the desert.



More of the trail.
 




 In Lake Mead NRA, Rogers Spring produces 400 gallons of water per minute from an aquifer deep underground.

 Bowman Reservoir in the town of Logandale captures water from the Muddy River for local irrigation.  I went there looking for ducks, but found a large flock of American Avocets.





No comments:

Post a Comment