Monday, June 13, 2022

Ayres Natural Bridge, WY - May 21, 2022

 I visited this place some years ago, but driving the large motor home at that time, there wasn't good parking to allow for a good look at it.  This time I went in the Jeep and stayed long enough to really enjoy one of the prettiest canyons I've ever seen.  

Starting from rolling green hills so typical of Wyoming, the road begins to descend, showing red rock walls on either side. It continues to get deeper until totally surrounded by beautiful steep cliffs, with a lovely stream flowing through, passing under a natural rock bridge about thirty feet high, and several acres of lush green grass to enjoy.  Birds flying all about complete the scene, a veritable Eden in the midst of cattle grazing lands.

Since the Oregon, California, Mormon and Pony Express Trails all came through this area, this idyllic spot has been known for a long time.  Pioneers enjoyed a brief stay as respite from their travels, but it was the Ayres family that claimed it as part of their ranch and eventually donated it to the county as a park.  One of only three natural bridges in the U.S. with water still flowing underneath, it is popular for picnics, photography and weddings.  














The remains of an old power house that was to provide power for irrigation show where the project stood when it was abandoned because the company went bankrupt.


Among the many species of birds that pass through or make their permanent homes here, cliff swallows use mud from the creek to build their "tenement" nests all over the cliffs, rarely stopping for rest.




  While at first I chased birds all over the grounds, some of them began to show their curiosity by following me around, steadily getting closer.

Eastern Kingbird

Swainson's Thrush

Violet-green Swallow

Lark Bunting

Least Flycatcher

Yellow Warbler

Lazuli Bunting (Male)

Lazuli Bunting (Female)


On the way back to camp, I passed by a herd of domestic bison being raised on a ranch.


The following day, things took a turn for the worse when I experienced some GI bleeding and went to the hospital in Casper for tests.  In the end, they determined I have rectal cancer.  I considered staying in Wyoming for treatment, butt decided I would be more comfortable at home.  So, bottom line, I drove the 1150 miles in just over two days to start arranging treatment.  After several weeks back in Sierra Vista, I've seen an oncologist who laid out a plan for intense radiation, nine weeks of chemotherapy and eventually surgery.  So far it appears the tumor hasn't spread, but one more CT scan is needed to be sure.  I am very optimistic that it is very treatable and I look forward to getting back on the road.  After two years of covid limitations, this interruption was a real bummer.

Until I can travel again, I will resume the re-runs from2005, at least as I have the time for it.



5 comments:

  1. We'll stay abreast of your progress via the kids. You are in our prayers, Sally & Arv

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear that Stan, please keep us posted and know that we are thinking of you and sending good vibes your way my friend!!! 😘❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete