Friday, June 10, 2022

Glenrock, WY - May 20, 2022

 I stopped in the small town of Glenrock, population around 2500, because it is close to several things I wanted to see and close enough to Casper to also visit there.  Furthermore, the RV park there is on Deer Creek and close to the North Platte River, both offering a chance for wildlife.  The day I arrived had some drizzle that turned to snow in the afternoon, eventually dropping about an inch of white stuff.  According to the weather app, however, the area where I had camped in Colorado was getting ten inches or more of snow.  

The next day I drove through Mormon Canyon, which I had spotted on the map.  Some men I met at the RV park confirmed that it was a beautiful area, as they were there to provide maintenance on the wind turbines.  According to them, the turbines can be given necessary grease for bearings only by lowering the blades and turbine apparatus to the ground.  They operated the cranes that do the heavy lifting.  Seems like poor design to me.

As I drove through the canyon, I observed that most of the wind mills were at least turning, unlike most wind farms I encounter.  If any place has reasonably reliable wind, I suppose it would be Wyoming.





Although Mormon Canyon Road continued on for many miles, looking much the same as far as I could see, I turned onto Boxelder Road that loops back to town.  I immediately began to see signs of civilization that had been absent in Mormon Canyon (other than wind mills).  There were some very nice ranches and a variety of critters.  I saw the bald eagle at least four times, always out of range, but I kept the poor photo only for evidence.








Bobolink

Marmot

Brewer's Sparrow

Pronghorn

Brewer's Blackbird

Bald Eagle

No comments:

Post a Comment