Sunday, March 3, 2019

Apache Junction, AZ (3/2/2019)

Well, I finally made it to Apache Junction, where I wanted to be six weeks ago when I first arrived in Arizona.  This area is so popular with snowbirds, all the RV parks (and there are many of them) were full at that time.  Apparently a few of the snowbirds start home around March 1, opening a few vacancies and I was able to snag one.  Now I'm settled in for a month, after which I'll start gradually moving toward Colorado.

The main attraction for me here is the Superstition Mountain range and the Apache Trail that runs through it.  I spent a day driving the Apache Trail back in 2006, but always felt there was much more to see when I had the time.  A month should give me plenty of time to explore the Superstitions, as well as visit some of the wildlife preserves in the greater Phoenix area.

Saturday started out with heavy overcast conditions, not a good time for photography.  I hung out in camp and watched golf and basketball on TV.  Late in the afternoon, the clouds started breaking up and the sun peeked out.  I decided it might be a good sunset evening, so headed out toward the Apache Trail.

The start of the Trail is marked by a small park and monument in honor of the Lost Dutchman Mine.  Most people have heard the legend of a German prospector who told a death-bed story about a gold mine he had found in the Superstition Mountains.  Since then, many people have searched in vain for the "Lost Dutchman's Gold Mine".  Starting in 1892, thousands of people have pieced together clues and thought they can find it.  Many have died trying. 

Here the desert has a nice carpet of green ground cover, not just the rocks and dirt found farther south.  Driving here from Tucson, I saw quite a few wildflowers blooming, so I'm hoping there will be more of these as I travel about.

As the sun gets lower, it puts a spotlight on Superstition Mountain.

I stopped briefly at Superstition Mountain Museum, but it was too late to go inside.  I'll make a point of visiting it when there's more time.

Turning onto a side road, I headed directly toward the mountain.  It was a shock to see so many homes in this area, most built since my last visit.  And these were not small, run-of-the-mill houses like you might expect to find in the desert.  These were mostly very large and very nice homes with beautiful desert landscaping.  This would be a great place to live.












One residence had its garage door painted with a scene that included two riders on horseback  going toward Superstition Mountain.

After cruising the neighborhood, I turned my attention once again to the sunset, which was starting to look good.








No comments:

Post a Comment