Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Big Sur, CA (3/12/2020)

After two days of near constant rain, the day I moved to Monterey was bright and beautiful, after some early fog.  It was an easy drive through lovely country, first those green hills and then immense agricultural fields.  A quick lunch and I was ready to take advantage of a sunny afternoon, especially since the forecast was for only two nice days followed by more rain.  I decided that driving down the coast was the best way to do that.

















In addition to all the views of rocky shoreline and imposing cliffs, there were other worthwhile scenes along the way.  Places where highway construction cut through the mountainside have been sculpted by erosion into some exotic formations, Mother Nature improving on man's handiwork.


Some of man's work is pretty impressive, too, such as the bridge over the Bixby Creek canyon.

I stopped at McWay Falls, one of the few waterfalls in the U.S. that drops directly into the ocean (at high tide).


On the return trip, I visited Big Sur State Park to see some of those huge coast redwoods.  It's just not possible to capture the scale of those trees in a photo.



Leaving the main highway for a few minutes, I toured Yankee Point Road and enjoyed some of the outstanding homes there.






1 comment:

  1. I loved driving the Coast Highway . so beautiful .did it several times . I remember once doing it with my family when I was about 12 . . my grandmother and I decided that we were going to rent a house in Carmel . which never happened .. but I still remember that promise

    ReplyDelete