Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Cuyamaca Lake & Julian, CA (1/18/2018)

I decided to visit some of the local spots rather than drive all the way into the coast, so started by going into the mountains to Cuyamaca Lake.  I didn't expect much at the lake, and there wasn't, it was the drive through the mountains that appealed to me.  The road I took would have been the shortest route to my next planned stop, but I now know the road isn't suitable for my rig.  Thirty feet is the legal limit due to winding, steep curves in the highway.  I'll have to take a much longer route.

Lake Cuyamaca is primarily for fishing, so it didn't interest me.  Also, they charge $10 to enter, even for a five-minute look see.  I chose to go into the only restaurant in "town"...which advertises the best pies in the world...and sit on their deck to view the lake.  Didn't even try the pie.
Moving on, I headed for Julian, a small mountain town I had heard was "quaint".  Had some pretty scenery on the way.  The second photo is a view into Anza-Borrego Desert, where I'll be staying before long.
Julian is a mere village, maybe 1500 people.  It was settled around 1858, and gold was discovered there in 1869.  After the boom, the town went bust and stayed that way for a long time.  Now it attracts bikers (due to those twisty mountain roads) and city slickers who want to enjoy a day in the country shopping for antiques and "uniques" at twice the price they would be in the city.  But, it is a quaint town.








I've also chased a few birds that I'll share.
Acorn woodpecker

Acorn woodpecker

Western scrub jay

Band-tail pigeon



No comments:

Post a Comment