Saturday, January 20, 2018

La Jolla, CA (1/17/2018)

I'm sure everyone is aware of La Jolla, that upscale suburb of San Diego that likes to think of itself as an independent city.  It certainly has its own identity, but I can't tell where it begins or ends. It's just part of the total metroplex.  I went there with the idea of getting some beach scenes, waves and water poring over rocks, and especially sunset photos over the rocky shore.  I started early afternoon getting a few shots of different sea gulls, some of which never visit the east coast.
Western Gull

Ring-bill Gull

Heermann's Gull
I also got photos of the famous pier at the Scripps Research Institute, part of the University of California at San Diego, and the cliffs at Torrey Pines, another exclusive community.
I then spent a couple hours walking the beach and getting photos of waves crashing and flowing across the rocks.  Wherever possible, I included some of the flowers growing along the shore. In one shot, you can see the remains of wood and concrete pilings once used to support a deck or walkway.









I also found a brown pelican willing to pose for me.

Down on the rock was an interesting inscription, revealed when the tide was low.  It asks an important question, but we can't know what the answer was.  And was the author someone named Beethoven?  And was this his first Symphanee, or his ninth?  We'll never know.
Driving around town, I saw lots of impressive architecture, especially with the churches.  My favorite, I think, was Episcopal.
I asked Gertie to find La Jolla Natural Park and she led me on a merry chase.  Up the hill, around sharp curves, narrow streets, signs stating "No Outlet".  There was no stopping her until the very end of the road, high on a hill overlooking La Jolla.  There was no park there, but many beautiful homes and a great view of the sea fog now rolling in.  It was worth the wild ride.


With the fog getting thicker all the time, I decided to move down the coast to Sunset Cliffs Park in San Diego proper.  There was no fog there, so I waited patiently for sunset.  It wasn't the best one I've seen, due to the marine layer on the horizon, but I tried to make the most of it.








1 comment: