Thursday, January 18, 2018

San Diego, CA (1/15/2018)

After a morning at Balboa Park, I drove to Old Town San Diego, recognized as the "birthplace of California).  It was settled in 1769 with only a fort and a mission.  It became part of the U.S. in 1846 as a result of the Mexican-American War.  Today it is a State Historic Park and a major tourist attraction.  I visit it every time I'm in San Diego.

I arrived at lunch time, so went directly to Casa de Reyes and had an outstanding Mexican meal.  After lunch, I walked around the plaza and checked out historic buildings and a few of the shops.  On my walk, I passed the Catholic church and the Museum of the Mormon Battalion that helped defeat the Mexicans.








There are many beautiful homes in the neighborhoods around Old Town, but I was particularly impressed with this one.
Next I drove to Sunset Cliffs Park, where surfing is a popular activity.  I was more interested in the rocky shoreline that characterizes the entire west coast.






 
Continuing out on Point Loma, I found a good spot to view the downtown from a distance.  It was also a good place to see Coronado and the famous Coronado Hotel.  The 1959 movie "Some Like It Hot" was filmed there, and I had the opportunity to stay there once on a business trip.  It's the collection of red-roofed buildings center left in the photo.
At the tip of Point Loma is Cabrillo National Monument, honoring the explorer who first landed in California while exploring the west coast.  It is unclear whether he was Spanish or Portugese, but he was definitely exploring on behalf of Spain.  There is also a lighthouse on the point, and very popular tidal pools.  Since admission to the monument was free in honor of MLK Day, the crowds were such that I couldn't get close to either.

Also on Point Loma, I visited the Fort Rosecrans National Cemetery, which must be one of the largest (78 acres) and certainly one of the most beautiful locations I've seen.  Its grounds have been completely filled, so casket burials are no longer allowed, only cremated remains can be accepted.



No comments:

Post a Comment