Friday, October 15, 2021

Bridgeport, CA - Part 3 - October 6 & 7, 2021

 Tioga Pass Road is one of the few highways to cross the Sierra Nevada and one of the most scenic around.  Starting near Mono Lake on the eastern end, Highway 120 travels about 65 miles through stunning vistas of mountains, meadows and lakes.  In the spring, several magnificent waterfalls can be seen.  At the western end is the incomparable Yosemite National Park.  Tioga Pass is the highest in California, topping out at slightly less than 10,000 feet.  The road is closed due to heavy snow from November until around Memorial Day, depending on how much snow there is.  Due to time constraints, and the fact I have driven across it several times before, I went only a few miles up the road on this trip.


Mono Lake is another special place that I was unable to visit this time due to time constraints.  Maybe I can get back to it on my way home.  I did stop at the highway turnout that provides an overview of the lake from several miles north and quite a bit higher.

On my last full day in Bridgeport, I followed the advice of the Mono County Fall Color Guide and went off to find Lobdell Lake, which I had not heard of before now.  Access was from a dusty unpaved road across rolling hills of nothing but sagebrush.  After a couple of turns, the scenery changed and started showing the color I had been promised.  The road was bumpy and rocky at times, and crossed about six streams, but had some very nice stands of aspens near peak color.  As I drove higher, there were good views of the Sweetwater Mountains.  After some ten miles, I reached Lobdell Lake at roughly 9300 feet.  How disappointing that the lake was probably less than ten percent its normal size.  However, the drive was well worth it just to see the beautiful trees.































2 comments:

  1. finally have time to go thru some of your posts . . love the Aspens

    ReplyDelete