Sunday, November 6, 2022

Paria Plateau/North Coyote Buttes, Part 2 - March 8, 2006 (Re-run)

 The sandstone butte that includes The Wave and many other features is known as Top Rock and stands high above the surrounding plateau.  You can see one arch at the top, but there's another on the back side.  I tried climbing over, but my boots just didn't have the grip needed to conquer the steep slickrock.  Top Rock is the last of the landmarks provided with the permit.  It can be seen from far away, but once you reach the bottom, you know you have arrived at the destination.

 

Getting to The Wave requires a little climbing and navigating a few narrow passageways.



Once you enter The Wave, you know it was worth the effort to enjoy such an incredible formation.  And there are countless others nearby to explore and enjoy.






I climbed several hundred feet above The Wave to get a view of the whole scene, which actually has several "waves".



















There is another beautiful, swirling formation known as "The Second Wave".



I spent about four hours exploring the area, and never saw another soul until I was leaving and the fellow I had met earlier finally arrived.
















Working my way back down through the various "waves" gave me the chance to enjoy it all once again.  I repeated this hike in 2007 with family.  While it was great to share this adventure, I have to say that doing this for the first time, on my own, was probably the best hiking experience of my life.







 


 

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment