Sunday, July 9, 2023

Escalante, Utah, Part 2 - March 24, 2007 (Re-run)

 Calf Creek is a tributary of the Escalante River, finding its way over sandstone formations and dropping into deep canyons in a couple places.  While Lower Calf Creek Falls is arguably prettier, and definitely more popular, Upper Calf Creek Falls has nothing to be ashamed of.  That's where I headed on this day.

The hike to this waterfall is not that far, maybe less than a mile.  However, it is quite steep down the slick rock, and I knew the return would be more difficult.  Reaching the point where the creek falls over the cliff, I could see a lovely pool at the bottom that requires more down climbing to access.

 

 



Once at the canyon bottom, I was treated to the sight of a narrow, 88 foot waterfall into the pool I had seen from above.  All in all, it was a beautiful sight.


Next was a drive back to Cannonville, and then onto Skutumpah Rd. to visit Lick Wash, a slot canyon I had never hiked.  My goal was to reach an old cabin abandoned long ago.  Unfortunately, after a couple miles, I looked back and saw ominous clouds.  Since I never want to be in a slot canyon when there's a storm, I turned back before reaching the old cabin.


















No comments:

Post a Comment