Friday, October 26, 2018

Gold Butte N M, NV - Little Finland (10/22/2018)

On this day, a powerful thunderstorm rolled through the area, starting at 4 am with torrential rain, hail and lightning.  As a result, Gold Butte Rd had numerous places where washouts had covered the pavement with rocks and dirt.  I was confident  the gravel roads would be OK, but to reach Little Finland requires driving in Mud Wash and North Mud Wash for a total of nine miles, so I had some concern about conditions there after the storm.

Getting to Little Finland proved to be no problem for the LRJ, despite many washouts and long stretches of mud.  Here's what it looked like when we arrived, and it was much worse after the return trip.  It took $10 in a wash bay to get the sticky, icky mud off.
 Here is an overall view of the plateau.
This was my third visit to Little Finland, and I try to explore a different area each time I go.  There is still a lot to see, so I'll keep going back.  Also, at some point I need to spend the night there to get the best light.  Given the conditions, I did not want to drive out after dark.

The color and shapes of the Aztec sandstone at Little Finland are incredible, unlike any place I've ever seen.  Walking around there is both a joy and a challenge, trying to photograph these formations to convey the beauty and mystery they hold.  As always, lighting is a key factor.










 
 There are famous "wave" formations in other places, but Little Finland has a few of its own.



I know that some of the horizontal slabs of rock have petroglyphs on them, but I have yet to find them.  That's another reason to keep coming back.




No comments:

Post a Comment