Friday, October 5, 2018

Kebler Pass & Marble, CO (9/27/2018) and Montrose, CO (9/29/2018)

On my way to Marble to re-visit the Crystal Mill, I felt there was enough time for a side trip on Kebler Pass, which always has lots of colorful aspen trees.  This road eventually leads to Crested Butte, but there wasn't enough time to go that far.  I decided to turn around at Lost Lake, about twenty miles away.







 





Back on the road toward Marble, the colors around McClure Pass were brilliant in the golden light from the setting sun.  I regretted not getting there earlier and having time for more photos.  Too much to see, too little time.

In Marble, I stopped at two different lakes to grab a quick photo at each.  I could see that mountains were beginning to block the light, making me concerned I might be too late to get what I wanted at the mill.

The six-miles from Marble to Crystal Mill is one of the roughest roads I've ever driven.  It takes at least forty-five minutes, even when driving faster than is comfortable.  I met several vehicles coming back from the mill and assumed I would be the only one there.  As it turned out, there were six vehicles still parked there when I finally arrived, and maybe twenty people with cameras scattered about.

Although the sun was just barely hitting the mountain tops behind the mill, I took photos from several angles and left as it was almost dark.  The road is even more treacherous after dark, and it would be a grave mistake to run off the side.  The people remaining were there to get photos of the Milky Way behind the mill.  That would make a lovely shot, but they were staying nearby while I had more than 100 miles to get home.

I'll finish here with a few more sunset photos from Montrose.  The recent cloudy weather has brought some much needed rain to the area and produced some spectacular sunsets.






No comments:

Post a Comment