Tuesday, March 8, 2022

Touring North Carolina - May 1-3, 2005

 We wrapped up that particular trip by roaming around North Carolina for several days, primarily seeking out waterfalls.  Transylvania County claims to have some 375 waterfalls, which I can neither prove nor disprove.  I can say they have a large number.  Every time I go there, I re-visit some favorites and also try to get to some new ones.  But let's start now in Lake Junaluska, near Waynesville.




Highway 215 runs between Highway 64 and Interstate 40, winding its way through the mountains and following Laurel Branch much of the way.  With numerous waterfalls right on the roadway and more accessible via side roads, this is an exciting drive for waterfall lovers like me.





One of my favorite stops along Highway 215 is the Living Ministries retreat.  Here the Mill Shoals stream joins the French Broad River (I don't name these), each having beautiful falls at this location.



A rough trail follows the combined stream down the mountainside to the boundary of the retreat's property, ending in a huge grotto that is the perfect example of serenity.  Along the way, there are spectacular falls and cascades to enjoy.






 

More waterfalls can be found along Highway 276, such as Slick Rock Falls and the very popular Looking Glass Falls.








2 comments:

  1. Love all the waterfalls . . back when we were RVing in the area . . I hiked many of them now I'm getting lazy .. haven't even done Linville Falls in several years

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankful to have seen so many. Would not be able to do the hikes anymore. Appreciate your comment.

      Delete