Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Brown County, IN (10/25-10/27)


When I took the Agawa Canyon train tour out of Sault Sainte Marie, Ontario, I sat with a woman and her two children, a 27 year old son and a 19 year old daughter.  It was a nice family and the daughter was into photography, so I felt fortunate to have such compatible seat mates.  Through the day, we chatted about numerous things, but when we discussed my upcoming travel plans, I mentioned stopping in Indianapolis.  The son immediately advised that I make a point of visiting Brown County, south of Indianapolis.  He really didn't have much specific to say about it, other than it is a nice area.

When I was preparing to leave Indianapolis, I remembered the advice I'd been given and looked for a campground in Brown County.  Driving to the campground I had selected was a neat experience.  I was on back roads all the way and saw lots of farms, fields and woods, including some colorful fall foliage.  I drove through the village of Bean Blossom (no joke), then the town of Nashville, finally arriving at my campground in the village of Gnaw Bone (I'm not kidding), right down the road from Brown County State Park. Driving around southern Indiana was very enjoyable, with lots of fall foliage, old barns, log cabins, etc.











The Bean Blossom Covered Bridge, built in 1880, was especially interesting.  It is one of three bridges with its type of truss to remain in existence.  I understand it's the most photographed and painted covered bridge in the state of Indiana.  Even though I was there around sunrise, the traffic of people coming by to see and  take pictures was amazing.  It was on the main road through this area until 1936, when Highway 135 was built and bypassed it.
Bean Blossom Bridge

No comments:

Post a Comment