Thursday, April 21, 2016

Page, AZ (4/15 - 4/18/2016)

Page was founded in 1957 as a place for workers at the Glen Canyon Dam to live.  Since the dam was completed and Lake Powell filled, Page has become primarily a tourist town on the edge of Navajo Nation.  The outdoor activities available here are almost without limit.  Boating, fishing and camping at Lake Powell are extremely popular, but the numerous slot canyons in the area are also a huge draw.  Colorado River rafting and scenic overlooks bring in a lot of visitors, not to mention the many scenic drives and hikes within a short distance of Page.  Vermilion Cliffs, Grand Staircase-Escalante NM, Grand Canyon NP and Glen Canyon National Recreation Area are all just a short drive away.  I could go on, but I'm really not the Chamber of Commerce.

Glen Canyon Dam and Bridge, Downstream Side

Glen Canyon Dam, Upstream Side


Colorado River Headed To Grand Canyon
 One evening, I watched the sunset from the edge of Lake Powell.  There were lots of dark clouds blocking the sun until the very last minute, when the sunlight hit some sandstone mounds and made them glow.


 A few minutes later, the sunset itself looked like a forest fire on top of the ridge.

 Another evening, I hiked to Horseshoe Bend and joined about 100 others waiting for sunset.  When it came, it was a small patch of light below huge clouds.

However, when I zoomed in, the sunset looked more impressive.

On the way back to camp, I swung by the Navajo Generating Station, a coal fired plant that supplies energy to three states.  At one time, it was a major pollution source, but I am pleased to say they have installed state of the art scrubbers to greatly reduce sulfur dioxide and nitrogen dioxide emissions.  Further reductions are planned.

I enjoy driving around the area in search of unusual rock formations.  I took a road I had never taken and found a nice collection of large formations with lots of green sandstone, which I find particularly attractive.




No comments:

Post a Comment