Thursday, March 9, 2017

Mesa, AZ (3/1/2017)

After a couple days of inclement weather kept me indoors, I moved to Mesa.  I had plans to meet up with several friends there, but also wanted to visit some birding hot spots and other outdoor attractions.  The first of these was the Riparian Preserve, operated by the city of Gilbert.  Part of the waste water treatment process, the Preserve has several lakes and ponds that attract wildlife.  Walking and biking trails, along with playground equipment and a planetarium, make it a park for all ages.  I walked about three miles around some of the ponds, but didn't cover the entire area.  There were a variety of birds, some of which I had not seen before.
Northern Shoveler  
Black-necked Stilt






Verdin

 
Female Grackle


Anna's Hummingbird
Ring-necked Duck
Kildeer
American Avocet
Avocet Buzzed By Least Sandpiper
Snowy Egret
Long-billed Dowitcher
House Finch
 With all the vegetation growing around the ponds, there was perfect cover for small mammals.  Dozens of cotton-tail rabbits were hopping around, and I feel sure there were some predators around also.

No comments:

Post a Comment